All Africa Conference of Churches invites young theologians (Theology students and practicing graduates in the ministry under 35 years age), to apply for a 10 days ecumenical theological encounter through training and participation in the forthcoming 12th General Assembly and 60th Anniversary. The training will take place at First Baptist Theological Seminary, Abuja – Nigeria from November 7th – 16th, 2023.
The All Africa Conference of Churches (AACC) Theological Institute Programme started in 2008 at the 9th AACC General Assembly held in Maputo, Mozambique. Since then it has been a tradition for the AACC to bring together young theologians from all over the continent and beyond, for a two-week intensive theological training, with the possibility of interacting with senior church leaders, church delegates during the assemblies as well as getting special ecumenical exposure.
This year’s theological institute is based on the AACC’s agenda for promoting intergeneration learning and mentorship of young theologians on ecumenical-related issues affecting Africa and beyond. This aims at producing present and future ecumenically-oriented leaders for African churches and the world at large.
The 9th Theological Institute main focus is on the global ecumenical movement, its’ history, theology and current trends. This will be expounded in conjunction with the general assembly theme “THE LOVE OF CHRIST COMPELS US”, (2 Corinthians 5:14). There will be five main thematic areas namely;
- Development of the Ecumenical Movement, History (1910-2023), Theology and Trends;
- Global Ecumenical theologies on humanity dignity, Peace & Justice and Eco-Diakonia;
- Stewardship for a sustainable creation, productivity and abundant life (Gen 2: 13, John 10:10)
- Reconciliation for a just and equitable communities in Africa (1 Cor. 5: 18-19)
- Ethics and accountability in leadership and governance in Africa
- To bring together young theologians mainly from Africa and beyond to equip them with theological knowledge and skill on the global ecumenical movement;
- To discuss global ecumenical theologies on humanity dignity, Peace & Justice and Eco-Diakonia in Africa;
- To promote ecumenical theological understanding of human responsibilities towards God’s creation, productivity and human flourishing
- To constructively engage on how individuals and communities would embrace ethical and accountable leadership and governance in Africa;
- To theologically reflect on the AACC 12th General Assembly theme “THE LOVE OF CHRIST COMPELS US”, (2 Corinthians 5:14). Students will be involved in contextualizing this theme in response to the various needs; creation care-related issues affecting Africa like current droughts, hunger and climate change, gender injustices and inequality among others.
- To create impactive intergenerational learning by interacting with a number of ecumenical and pan African scholars, church leaders and ecumenical partners.
Participants will be identified and selected from the list of applicants who will have submitted these applications as per the theological institute requirements (requirements will be published together with the institute’s advert at: www.aacc-ceta.org). Applicants must be young theologians from theological seminaries as well as practicing graduates from the member churches under the age of 35 years.
- Dates and Venue
The theological institute is planned to take place for 10 days from 7th to 16th November 2023. This year’s theological institute is graciously hosted by First Baptist Theological Seminary in Abuja, Nigeria.
AACC will cater for the institute related costs while the participants are encouraged to cater for their visa, airport transfers and local transport costs respectively.
- How to Register
Please click on the link below to submit your application.
The deadline for submission of the Application form is 30th April 2023.